Saturday, December 6, 2008

First Saturday brings tears...

of both joy and sadness. Details below. Well, overall, I've had a really good day today. Although I thought I would be bored out of my mind because it's my first weekend alone, I was able to fill my time ok. So here we go (please beware, it's long):

Slept in till 8, and it felt so good!! I had just dreamed that it would be cloudy today, but I got up and looked outside - not only was it sunny, but there was surprinsingly no overcast. Yay! So I unpacked my whole huge suitcase, sorted laundry I should wash, ate banana & almond butter for breakfast, and decided to go to the beach after my errands.

My errands: to go find chocolates for my boss's party tomorrow, (which I did, and they had special coupons for today, yay!), go grocery shopping, go to the beach, and do laundry.

By the chocolate stores, I saw a Macy's... and thought I would check out some home things since I got a $50 gift card for my birthday from Genevieve. Well, I concluded that most things were too expensive than what I'm used to, even more than BB&B, so I almost left. Well, before leaving, I thought I'd check out kitchen stuff because it would be fun :) (only me. And every other woman, actually). I was getting ideas of stuff I needed for my new place, and how much it would cost (remember, I have to start from scratch, pretty much, besides the few things mom's giving me... thanks again, mom!). I looked at cooking sets, including pans, frying pans, a dutch oven, etc... and they were like $200, $300, so I thought screw it, I'm going to Wal-Mart next week. Then I saw it... ta-da! A full 12 piece set, including lids and spatulas too, stainless steel, regularly $120... on sale for $44.99. Yay! They looked like everyday essentials (in fact, that's the brand name I think, or model) vs. the fancy $300 stuff. That's totally fine with me! I grab it. There's a line at checkout (aren't we in a recession?!?!?!) and while in line, I see this cute mixing bowl with measuring cups and spoons, also silver colored, for only $10 instead of $20, so I thought what the hay. It would match the cooking set. Well, it was genius, because it made everything above $50, and because I have a Macy's credit card she took off $10, and the total came to only $48 something... so I basically have a Macy's gift card with a dollar something on it (should have just grabbed that chocolate bar on the counter), and a nice cooking set with some mixing bowls and spoons for my baking pleasure, ALL for free. This has been a pretty good day so far.

So I walk around this cute village of shops, there's a CPK (man, would love some of their pizzas again), a Chili's (thought of you, honey) an Olive Garden (stuffed mushrooms, sweetheart?), and other places... there's also an inside mall part where I planned to check out the chocolate stores: Godiva, Harry and David, and See's. I went to all 3 to compare, I indulged in a raspberry white chocolate cup at Godiva for $4.50 (so good, but won't do it again), at See's tried a free sample of a pineapple truffle (again, thought of you, honey) and ended up buying truffles at Harry and David. They also had a frozen section there and I saw a brie in puff pastry with artichokes and caramelized onions, and omg, it looked SO good and I was so tempted (even though it's SO bad for me) and thought I would just indulge one night this week, but it was $16 and thought it's a little much for cheese en croute. I don't know, anyone else pay more for brie en croute?

So then, I tried to go to Target, but went the wrong way on PCH... but that's okay, I saw a Whole Foods and just decided to go there instead. The store.... was HUGE. Mom would have had a heart attack. Now, Mom and I have been eating pretty much all organic for a few years now, we really feel that it's better for our health and we feel good doing it. It's a little more expensive, true, but not by that much... and when you think of the benefits down the line, it's totally worth it. I've decided to stick with it. So anyway, here I go. My grocery budget is $300 a month, or about $60 a week. Now, again, I'm starting from scratch and knew I had to buy olive oil, etc... which can be pretty expensive, and it'll obviously last me for more than a week, so I expected to go a little over (I'm extremely budget conscious, you may have noticed with the "not wanting to tip a bellman to save money" paragraph from yesterday). Well, basically, I got everything I need for the week, and more, by buying delicious, healthy ORGANIC foods for $53. I say, I'm pretty proud of myself. I've never really grocery shopped, except when parents are gone on vacation, which happens maybe once or twice a year, and then again it's not the same because we've got grains and everything in the cupboard anyway... so I just buy minimal perishable stuff. Yay for staying within budget! (bear in mind Mom's an accountant, I've had this state of mind instilled in me very young).

So then I go back to the hotel, put the groceries away, ate lunch [I bought sushi for lunch... the only take-out I'll do this week, I promise :)] and my Godiva dessert, change into capri's and flip flops, and head for the beach. I decided to go to Manhattan beach today. Well, here's another proud accomplishment, I walked a little over 4 miles today, all in the sand by the water (feet sinking into the wet sand = awesome calf & hamstring workout). The water was cold, and the air was getting colder (65 degrees), but I didn't care. I started feeling that sand in between my toes, and couldn't help, I shed a tear or two of joy. Now, I must explain the importance of the beach to me. Beaches to me symbolize: summer, great weather, a great tan, family (it's where I'd go on summer vacations to see Grandma & everyone else), and just plain good times... but there's just something about that ocean breeze and feeling that sand in between your toes... I will never be able to explain it, but basically when I'm doing that, it's perpetual bliss. Now, also knowing that I can do this every weekend because it's in my own backyard, is double that bliss. Why the Frack didn't I come live here sooner?!?!?!?!

I had the pleasure of savoring that moment... for over 90 minutes. That's right, I actually walked about an hour and a half, and another half hour to walk on the pier, see the aquarium (the king crab was trying to plan his escape), and try to find my car. Yes, I almost got lost. Well, not really, but really wondered where I parked that Utah tree hugger car of mine for a few minutes. Speaking of that, since I've haven't been on any freeways since I filled up my tank and just driving on PCH to go to work, I'm getting horrible gas mileage. Oh well. Maybe I'll buy a bike and just bike to work - it's only 9.7 miles away. Think I can do it? :)

So, now my tear of sadness: wish the boyfriend were here with me to share all these wonderful experiences I call the Cali lifestyle. Miss you, honey... hopefully you can come soon.

Here are the little things today that made me giggle, and/or made my day:
-a small guy in a small Porshe Carrera with a huge cigar in his mouth
-couple's pictures on the beach - must have been polygamist, a woman surrounded by two men, all 3 wearing the classic jeans and a white shirt for engagement pictures and such
-a little girl on the beach just dancing and prancing around, while her mom took pictures and seemed grateful to have such a cute free-spirited innocent daughter
-guy in a google shirt checked me out [why am I attracting tech geeks? hun, got some geek competition :)]

Well, that's it for today. I think you pretty much know what I'm grateful for for today. My day's actually not over, I've decided to go back to Manhattan Beach for the lighting of the pier in about 40 minutes. Might as well, or tonight may be boring... and I've got an awesome dinner of chicken sausage with artichoke and peas planned for tonight. YUM! Have a great Saturday night everybody!

No comments: