Saturday, December 13, 2008

Adventurous Saturday

Hey everyone! Well, the day went by really fast. It started with me calling to inquire about FIOS internet, and wow... I just spoke to one of the most unknowledgeable people when I called them... 

Me: "So I saw that it's 10mbps/2mbps, 10 is the download speed and 2 is the upload speed, right?

Lady: "Uh, yeah, that sounds right

Me: "And it is 10 megabytes or megabits per second?"

Lady: "Uh, I don't know, I'd think it's megabytes, don't really know what the difference is... but let me check for you"

Holy crap. Well, at the end she still answered my questions, but was slow as hell. For those of you who don't know, FIOS is fiber-optic internet, and I don't think it's offered in Utah yet, but basically I'm getting 10 mbps vs. Comcast's 6mbps... for the same price. Hurray! And I don't need a phone line. Double Hurray! I don't know whether or not I'm getting a home phone yet. 

So anyway, at 11 this morning is when the adventure started. I saw a couch for sale, which was huge, from Pottery Barn, and it was so-so. Then I go to a furniture store - and found the couch of my dreams and a really nice salesman named Bob. But he asked me if I knew how wide the door to my aparment was, because it needed 36'' of clearing. Then I thought, crap, my door IS fairly small, why didn't I measure it? So I went there and measured, and crap, it's 31 and 1/4. Which sucks. Because most couches are bigger than that.

So I went to Ikea next, my first time in over 15 years I think, and first time in the US. Quite frankly, in the couch department, I wasn't really impressed. There were 1 or 2 cheap ones that were about 30 or 31 inches deep, but kinda ugly or barely comfortable. Then I walked into the kitchen area... and nearly had a heart attack. I gasped with joy, like I stepped into kitchen heaven. LoL. I am such a woman. They had really nice kitchens! But that's not why I was there. I wanted to get basic stuff (glasses, dinnerware, silverware, tupperware, utensils, etc...) and basically, after 2 hours of going through that showroom I broke my back 1/3 of the way through (I thought a yellow bag would suffice, but it got too heavy). So I grabbed a delicious panini (I know, I ate bread... but I deserved it), and grabbed a shopping cart as soon as I saw one. Big relief. When I saw the kitchen accessories, as the French would say, "J'ai trouvé mon bonheur" (I found my fortune/happiness). I basically got everything I needed - and a few more here and there. I would have loved to spend more time in the decoration aisles, but I wanted to buy stuff I NEEDED for now. And for $108 bucks, I got about 75% of my kitchen essentials. Pretty good deal if you ask me. Plus, I had gift cards for my birthday back on Election Day - so I'd like to give a big shout-out to Mom & Stepdaddy, Fanou, JR & L for paying for my kitchen stuff. Thanks!!

Then, I went to the Target next door to buy cleaning products, applesauce, TP, sponges, etc. By that time it was 4 PM and my back was shot. I thought to myself there's no way I'll clean the apartment tonight. That's ok, I'll just do it tomorrow. I did drop off my stuff at the apartment after though, I could tell my car was too heavy, the trunk was full, I'm only getting 17 mpg and who knows if I would have fit the rest in the back seat. I did bring pretty much all I own with me to Cali.

So I got home, laid down, watched the last half of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory w/ Depp (such a wierd show), ate the rest of my panini, now I'm doing laundry while I'm typing this... so, for the couch situation, Bob did show me a futon (it's nice and comfy, not like usual futons), which would be able to fit through the door. I'm going back tomorrow with Mom & Stepdaddy so that they can check it out and hopefully haul it away. I'm so excited they're coming - so I'm grateful for that, and all the cool stuff I found at Ikea. Something funny today? Well, it just happened 5 minutes ago. I inserted my 8 shiny quarters in the wrong clothes dryer. I just wasted 2 bucks! Rrrr.... 

Just an FYI, As of tomorrow I may not have internet for a while. I signed up for access but it can take a week or more for the tech guy to come install it. So if you don't hear from me, no worries. If you do, then I'm messing around at work :)

Happy Saturday night everybody! Hope your weekend is just peachy.

No comments: