Tuesday, December 2, 2008

2nd Day as a Cali resident

Hi everyone!

So today, work was probably even better than yesterday. I think it's because yesterday I woke up really early, so was tired, and got a headache at the end of the day since I took in a lot of info. But obviously, still a good day with a great job. Today though, I already felt more comfortable with stuff. My boss is impressed with how quickly I learn, in fact she doesn't worry about me. She even tells me that if I need to leave early to visit apartments and such, no problem because we've got a month to learn everything which is plenty, and it's important that I get settled. Yay for a cool boss!

So I decided to go to Milano after work and turn in my application. I was so excited. Well, at around 1:30 pm I call them, and found out that it's been rented as of the night before :(. Well, not a tragedy... I still had one other great option, and another still very decent option. So I call SB and CM, both on the same street, to see if they still had theirs available. They both did. I stopped by both after work to get another feel for it. To be quite honest, I believe I'd be happy with both. But I really think I'd be happier in SB too. The differences?

SB: 1 bedroom, second floor, corner unit so not many common walls, nice & clean, newly remodeled, 2 story, californian, small kitchen, fridge, dishwasher, oven & stove, laundry on site, gated and covered parking, gated pool and decks, gated entry, nice views (not of parking lot or neighbors) including ocean view.

CM: Studio, large kitchen with everything too, optional privacy wall for bedroom area, but seriously it's only 4 ft tall... first floor, 3 story building, pink door, pool, laundry, covered parking, gated entry, getting remodeled too except the old pink door, lol.

So, again, prices:

SB: $1475, utilities included except electricity ($15-20 a month). Move in special of $700 dollars, so over a 6 month lease it's over $100 saving per month, so we could say $1360.... although I don't like to think of it that way. 6 month leases and $300 deposit.

CM: $1250, no utilities included, 6 month leases, $300 deposit. Nice landlady, husband is from Idaho and talks a lot.

So, that's my day... You're probably thinking, why didn't you jump on either one today after work, didn't you learn your lesson from Milano? Well, you may be right, but I still don't like to rush, although I'll most likely be making my official decision tomorrow. Feel free to let me know what you think...  

Before I leave you, what are you grateful for today? I'm grateful that there's still 2 apartments available that I like. Something unusual? In Cali they don't have decorated Christmas trees on the streets, there's decorated palm trees. It still looks cool :)

Good night everybody!!

4 comments:

Alisa said...

Hey Lilie!

How fun to live in California. I think I belong there; the ocean can't be beat! I'd have to say I'd take ocean over mountains, so consider yourself lucky! Congratulations on the job, that is wonderful.

My opinion since you have 2 apartments to choose from now would be Seabreeze, it seems that it would suit you.

Wish you could teach my little 9-month-old some French, I'm pretty rusty...

Happy Holidays!

Alisa

$teve said...

Tu as un mirroir pons de touche? :)

Guten Morgen Fraulein, this is a pretty sweet blog you've got here. I'm glad that you know what a Muse is now too. :) Made it safely to New Orleans with Filly...and her three cats. (sigh...) I'd better get some good karma out of this. :)

Glad that you're liking Cali. Keep me posted...and I may be visiting when Denver gets too wintery. Siyonara!!!

Lilie said...

Hey Alisa! Yeah, I moved out here for just the ocean and the opportunity :) How is your little bundle of joy? 9 months already, wow! Happy holidays!

Lilie said...

Steve, it's poche, remember? Like posh? LoL. Glad you';re in No'lans safe. When you come visit, I suggest avoiding December, it's actually only like 60 degrees out. Look at me, I'm already thinking that 60 is cold, I drive way more aggressively... I'm turned Californiain way faster than I thought :)