Sunday, May 17, 2009

Shake & Bake

Ah, my good old Geology 1010 class I took in college: Earthquakes and Volcanoes. Otherwise known as "Shake & Bake." I really loved that class. The ideas of earthquakes and volcanoes fascinate me. Just like every other natural disaster, such as tornadoes, etc...

Except, that when it happens to you, it's suddenly not fun anymore.

Yes, I just experienced my first Earthquake. What was I expecting? It's L.A. I had to get broken someday, right?

Well, in case you're wondering, I'm fine. It lasted only about 7-8 seconds, but that was one of the most terrifying few seconds of my life. It had a 5.0 magnitude and only two things fell over from a table and my bathroom sink. Breathe. It's ok. "Wait for the aftershock" Stepdad tells me as I call home... Thanks a lot, man :). I stood below a door frame but next time, per suggestions, I can do that, or below my computer desk, or even my closet. Any other suggestions?

After that, I heard people talking outside in the apartment complex, so opened my door... everyone was looking at each other making sure that they were ok. That was pretty cool.

Well, otherwise Volleyball today was fun... my work party got cancelled because Lady Boss M, her husband and son are all sick. I'm grateful today that I'm one piece. Here's to a wonderful (hopefully earthquake-free) week!

2 comments:

Humanjunk said...

I was around for the big one that hit San Francisco in 1989. They're not that scary. Fear not.

Lilie said...

Yeah, when I think about it, it wasn't as scary as it could have been... I think I'm more prepared for the next one though. At least I was at home, instead of, let's say... the Bay Bridge!