Saturday, May 16, 2009

Enfin Tranquille

It's been a while since I made a to-do list for a Saturday. 

9:30 - check out an apartment

10 - get hair cut

11 - grocery store

1230: get waxed

1 - check out another apartment

The rest - whatever else comes along.


So here we go. I get to my first apartment, or at least what I thought was an apartment. One bedroom, $1200 a month Craig's List tells me. I park on the driveway in front of a dated house, and the truck next to me has big cat moving below it. It starts to cross the street. Wow, that's a huge cat! Wait... holy crap, that's a big racoon! And he's making his way into the neighbor's garage. Nice. I was greeted by an Eastern European woman who had either really bad morning breath or really bad coffee breath, that I could smell from a few feet away. She shows me a room, a bathroom attached to it. "Oh, so it's not the whole thing?" No, she says, chuckling a bit. "Here's your kitchen" and she open a closet door, and in this closet in a mini-fridge, a toaster, and a few shelves. Are you fracking kidding me? I was in and out of there in 2.5 minutes. Now, here's my question to the world. Who in their right mind would rent out a room, unless it's got huge bay windows and is so close to the beach that if I threw a rock it would hit the water, for $1200/month?

Moving right along. Went to get my hair cut, I had a $15 coupon. The salon is... so-so. I didn't feel really comfortable in there. Basically, I got my hair shampoo'ed, rinsed, conditioned, rinsed, towel dried, cut, blow dried, paid the guy, in 26 minutes. Who cuts ladies hair in 26  minutes??!! I probably should've waited until I'm in Salt Lake to see my aunt who knows my hair like I know chocolate. Thank goodness it was only a trim, it could have been a catastrophe. 

I'm way ahead of schedule. I get groceries, make lunch (quinoa pasta with ground beef and fresh cherry tomatoes), watch a little TV, get waxed, go see apartment # 2.

Apartment # 2 was actually semi-decent, everything was remodeled, the kitchen was big, but the living room was smaller than the kitchen. The area was very decent, although there were power lines buzzing just a few homes away. $1150 a month with utilities. Not bad. Conclusion from today: I'm still going to stay here. I really do like this apartment and even if I find something just as good for $100 less a month, the whole move won't be worth it. So, that's that. I still had fun visiting the places and the people yesterday and today... each prospective landlord was from the Eastern Hemisphere. So much diversity here in L.A.

Well, about to play some counter strike against my man... wishing you all a fabulous Saturday!

No comments: