Monday, March 16, 2009

Bum on Fire

I love eventful days, don't you?

Had one of the best days this month.

*I had a great hair day
*I put on a cute business outfit
*I was smiling on the way to work
*Heard "Right Round" By Flo Rider Ft. whoever, and it's a song I love to crunch my core with in the car
*Got to work, found out that we got our bonuses from last year - and I didn't think I'd get anything cuz a) hard times and b) I was only there for a month. I did get something I thought hey, maybe enough for a gourmet sandwich - but it was more than that. Yeah, made my day.
*Got some work done... and finished a project I wanted to do today... I love the satisfying feeling of accomplishment!

Then I got home, it was a beautiful late afternoon, did my core workout for 45 minutes, burned some calories, then turned on the oven for a scrumptious salmon dinner I was going to make, so I started preheating the oven. By the way, try this: Salmon with dijon mustard spread on top and lemon cut in thin rounds. It's delicious! (I like whole grain mustard better, personally). Preheat to 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes if frozen. You're welcome.

Well, I didn't get my salmon. In fact, my bum - and much more important things for that matter, like, you know, my belongings, and my life, almost got on fire. Yep, my oven caught on fire.

Luckily the smoke detector started beeping, I ran toward the oven, the dutch oven on top of the stove (which wasn't on by the way) had black smoke coming out of it. I thought, "Did I accidently turn the stove on intead of the oven?" Well no, I opened the oven... and flames are coming out of the rectangular holes by the oven door. What do I do? I turn off the oven, open the front door, windows... the flame finally went away but it took about 90 seconds. That was a long 90 seconds. Meanwhile, my legs are shaking and I call the maintenance lady on site and left a message. She came over 20 minutes later, was scared for me, and looked at what was up. She's really great by the way, you could tell she cares. She looked at the oven and under the oven (where some people put cookie sheets and stuff). Well, my muffin pan was in there, with a piece of what looked like burnt paper on top (ashes by now), and we determined that was probably it.

Hold on... phone call...

Ok, that was the maintenance lady that called, wondering if I tried turning the oven back on again and if everything was ok. I haven't turned it back on but the stove's going with black beans right now. I'll try my salmon tomorrow... and make sure the place doesn't burn down.

So anyhoo, I started cleaning since it looked like this:


And the oven's fine. I grab the sponge to get rid of the black on the stove, but realize I didn't want to use the same sponge I clean the countertops with. Why don't I use the older sponge I used to clean the oven with the other day? Where did I put it... oh yeah that's right, under the....

Oh, Sh*t.

I guess sponges aren't flameproof...

1 comment:

$teve said...

Bum on Fire? Way to get my hopes up with a blog title. Oh yeah...and glad you're safe too. Gotta be careful with that fire stuff. :)