Sunday, March 15, 2009

Babord ou Tribord?

The weekend is coming to an end... but it's been a good one!

The Queen Mary, in Long Beach, was doing a free admission special for SoCal residents, today being the last day. I thought I'd check it out since it normally costs $20+ and it's only about 15 miles from my place. It was... well, a giant boat. Here, see for yourself:


And I'm glad I went, because I wasn't too into it... it smelled like wet wood the whole time and felt like... being on a big boat. Why am I glad I went? Because if I had actually spent money on this I would be a little dissapointed. Now I don't have to go back or tell family and friends that it's a "must see." I stood in line for 20 minutes, and when I got out there was a line, I kid you not, probably .75 miles long. Again, aren't we in a recession? LoL.

The parking was the fun part. Being the cheapo that I am, I wanted the best bang for my buck and knew there was a free bus from downtown, and I found a $3 spot for 2 hours. Allrighty!

Here are a few pictures from today:

View from the boat, Downtown Long Beach


Russian Submarine (that one was $10... too claustrophobic to go...)
Oh yeah, it's a hotel too... I'd rather go on a cruise!
Captain's stateroom...


And then what was probably the highlight of my day: I saw an Irish store with lots of imported foods from Ireland and England. I grabbed a "Lion" bar. Haven't had those in over 10 years:

That's about it for today! Went to the beach to find my volleyball buddies, but they weren't there. I texted Leo and he said most people were out of town and we'd do it next week. I just got an email too for a BBQ this Saturday with the team. Sounds awesome!

Otherwise I walked on the beach for about an hour, and the rest has been fairly lazy. Oh, except that I did laundry.

Today I'm grateful that even though I got lost (stupid google maps directions) getting back home, I still found my way - just because I found Pacific Coast Highway. Once I'm on PCH, I know exactly where to go! See mom? I'm doing fine without a GPS or iPhone...

I wish everyone a great week!

No comments: