Friday, January 9, 2009

Vive le weekend

Hi everybody! TGIF! I finally can rest... work has been a little stressful this week, and will probably be worse next week. I brought my laptop home for the first time and might actually work from home this weekend so that I have time to concentrate on other things next week. I feel like a grown-up in a grown-up position. Feels kinda scary, but cool!

Want to hear a funny story? Well, one night when the boyfriend was here (this was before Christmas), he couldn't sleep around 2:00 am so he got on the laptop and wanted to look up my apartment complex to look at what's in the area. He saw reviews - all negative, and one said that there was a Carbon Monoxide leak and the gas company was wondering how the tenant was still alive. We both freak out, turn off the heat and freeze for a day or two, until we drive up to Salt Lake for Christmas (now, by freezing I mean the apartment was about 62, which is too darn cold for me). On the way back, I bought a CO detector and this whole time we didn't bother calling the gas company to check out any leaks because it never went off. Last night, as I'm watching TV, I see the reader reads 34 (it had said 0 the whole time). Lilie freaks out and calls Mom, talks to Stepdaddy who advises to call the gas company, so I did. I said that I've been getting headaches - and I really have (I NEVER have headaches usually), but then again I started a new job, etc... but the gal basically said, I want you to open all the windows, the door and get to some fresh air, someone will be there soon. They show up about 40-50 minutes later. Good news? There's no gas or CO leak. Bad news? My heater is still in the worst condition, hasn't been maintained in years, if ever (so much lint and dust in there, it's not even funny, the guy even mentioned that I could be allergic to that). He shut it off and wrote a notice. Basically the burner flame is smothering - whatever the hell that means. I just know that there's something wrong with this heater and that it sounds like Chris Griffin's evil monkey is in there throwing marbles everywhere, and once in a while there's a mini explosion. Yeah. Thank goodness I've got an electric heater, and it's going to be 72 degrees tomorrow (yes, I know, rubbing it in). So I submitted the notice and paperwork today after work to the maintenance lady... and hopefully they'll fix it soon cuz man, I need a heater. And they should maintain their units, dang it!

Well, that's my fun story of the day. Hope you all have a great weekend! Any fun plans? I might start looking for a bed and furniture. My mom recommended buying a plant or two, that it'll be good for me and the apartment. Not a bad idea.

What made me laugh today? So I get on Windows Live Messenger tonight, and Mom gets on.

Mom: Re-coucou! (Hi again!)
Me: Hi mom (I had just talked to her on the phone)
Mon: I just installed Windows Live Messenger!
Me: And?
Mom: And it works, and... aren't you proud of me?
Me: Yes mom, that's awesome, you can take care of yourself now and install programs.

So mom doesn't need me anymore. Sigh. I guess we're both growing up. I got my first real bill in the mail today - my electricity bill! - along with a 2 inch thick pile of ads - It was kind of exciting. Please, don't ask me why. I just like the fact that I'm getting utility bills, it makes me feel more grown-up. Maybe I'm just looking at the glass half full? Nothing wrong with that.

Today I'm grateful for having a relaxing Friday night, not dying in my sleep from CO (although may have killed a few brain cells, sigh), my family, my friends, my sweetie pie, a beautiful sunny and warm tomorrow, maybe I'll go sunbathe... yeah. 'Tis gonna be a fun, replenishing weekend.

1 comment:

katie said...

don't you just love that while it is 40 degrees in salt lake city, we are down here enjoying SEVENTY degree weather...in january!!!!

i loved your co story...so something i would freak out about...good luck getting your heater fixed. my maintenance men are johnny on the spots about it...hope yours are too!