Saturday, January 24, 2009

Running never felt so good

What a fantastic weekend. I am almost a true Californian.... let's start with Friday.

Went to the DMV at 1030-ish to get my license and register my car. Waited for my number to be called... the whole thing took about 1 hour and 40 minutes, not bad considering that DMV is serving just about everyone in the South Bay.

I paid about $350 in fees (ouch!), got my picture taken, and not to brag, but I look pretty darn good in my picture!! Got a smile on my face many times that morning:

1. passed the written test the first time, only missing 3 questions ou of 36 (couldn't miss more than 6). Do you know they charge you an extra $6 every time you have to retake the test? That's nuts! What if high schools did that? That'd be funny.

2. Had to write down my weight... and smiled when I realized it's 15 lbs less than in 2005.

3. My face also looks way thinner in my new picture. Never thought my face was really chunky, but it definitely looks... less round. More square, maybe? LoL.

4. During the wait, I started reading. I'm reading "Ageless" by Susan Somers. It's about hormones. Considering my thyroid's a little underactive, this book was recommended by a "different" doctor. I basically don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life at my age, so I'm reading alternative medicines, get the right minerals in my body, then see. I'll do some blood work in a few months... hopefully my health insurance will kick in by then? I heart HR!

4. Everyone was actually very nice at the DMV! Busy, but nice. This helps, because I'm not completely done - I need to do a smog check (another $60, rrrrr) and return to the DMV to submit the certificate and my Utah plates... and wait for my DL in the mail... then I'll be a true Californian. How exciting!

The rest of Friday was spent relaxing, watching the Incredibles on the Disney Channel (love that show), going for a walk on the beach (I upped the running to 2.5 minutes, walked for about an hour).

Today, I bought a bed!!! Yay!! So excited. I love the aerobed, but a real bed is so much better, and it's going to be a queen. It's so funny, a whole queen for me right now, yet you'll still see me sleep on the edge. Got a killer deal too. It's a Spring Air back supporter, with memory foam, comfy, normally around $1349 but I got it for $702 with tax. It includes the box, frame and delivery. The only thing is that it takes a week to order, so they'll deliver it next Saturday. Can't wait! Have to buy new sheets, all I have are double sheets... Mom, can you send me some BBB 20% off coupons please? I don't get them here... Merci :)

So then I looked online at furniture stores and went to about 3 places. You all know I'm so undecisive and will always think things through too many times before I buy something. I just want to make sure that it's the right decision, you know?

Here are the 3 options for my bedroom (please feel free to let me know what you think!) First of all, I want to tell you my tastes... I like contemporary but not too modern. I dislike traditional. I do not like oak colors, I prefer black or a very dark brown. This is what I'm thinking:

Option A: Go cheap (Ikea Malm collection)
This is simple, yet works, still has a nice look to it, I can go get it right now (although I have to assemble everything). I would want:
6 Drawer Chest (tall), Black-Brown $149
6 Drawer Chest, Black-Brown $179
2 Night Stands $49 each

Total Ikea: about $465 with tax

Option B: Great deal on amazing furniture (Bestpricefurniture.com, Backbay Model)
6 Drawer Dresser $239
5 Drawer Dresser $199
2 nightstands $99 each

Total Backbay: about $690 with tax

Option C: Home Elegance, amazing furniture, but pricy:
Solid wood, very durable, sexy Espresso color.
It's funny, I called a number on Craiglst, he said to look at the homelegance website, I see an amazing bedroom set, later in the day I return to the store where I bought my couch last month, saw Bob, the cool salesman who sold me my couch and said "look at this, this is what the young couples really like" He showed me the catalog, and what do you know, the bedroom set he showed me was the exact same one what my eye caught on the website.
8 Drawer Dresser: $525
Nightstands: $225 each
Other 5 drawer dresser: I think around $499
Total: Ouch.

Now, technically I could buy the more expensive furniture... but honestly, I'd rather save my money on something else. Oh, did I mention I'm also a penny pincher?

So basically, I did some thinking today. Yeah, I'd like to buy something that'll last me. But then again, my life isn't particularly settled right now. I have no idea where I will be in 5 months, or a year, if I'll want to move out of here, if I move on with my job to Orange County like I want, maybe I'll get back to Utah. My point is, I have a feeling I'm going to move at least once or twice before the BF and I get married and get settled into a home. A lot of moving can cause damage, scratches, etc to my furniture. If I have to move to a studio for some reason (get laid off, or it's the only thing available or want to save money), I might not have room for my big sexy furniture, and would have to sell it on Craig's list for $50. So, my personal suggestion for me would be: go with Ikea. It might not last more than 5 years, but it'll last while I'm not "settled." It will do the job, still look nice, and save money. Once the BF and I get settled into our own place and don't plan to move for a long while, the Ikea furniture will look ok and we can use it for the guest bedroom and/or baby room and we get ourselves the sexy Espresso furniture.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Another happy note today - I walked for 65 minutes to the beach, and jogged TWICE. The first time for 3 minutes, the second time for 3.5 minutes. I try to add another 15 or 30 seconds each time I go running ( try it, start with 15 seconds and add 15 seconds each day). Watch for 4 minutes tomorrow. Now, I hate running. I always told people I'd rather walk for 3 hours than run for 10 minutes. But I really want to build a strong heart, have more endurance... and shape my derriere. After running for 3, 3.5 minutes, each time... yeah, I'm huffing and puffing a bit, breathing hard... but my heart feels strong. My lungs feel extremely open, I feel like I'm breathing in twice as much oxygen as usual. Suddenly, I don't feel like I have the lungs of a smoker (don't smoke, but been surrounded by second hand smoke my whole childhood...$#%$#^#^%#). It felt really good... and I think that's just the motivation I need to keep doing it. Oh, how glorious it would be that by summer I can run for 10-15 minutes everyday on the beach? Wouldn't that be a hoot? I'll make it my goal. Also, I'm, thinking about getting "Core Rythms," these workout videos that pretty much teach you awesome latin moves and really tone your body. I love latin dancing, and I think this would be a fun way to work out, especially on a rainy day, in the comfort of my living room.

That'll do it for me today. Have a great Sunday... and please feel free to let me know what you think on the furniture. Ciao!

No comments: